Cockroaches Facts Mobile Alabama Pest Control
Cockroaches are fascinating creatures. This list will identify 10 little know facts about cockroaches that makes it so hard to remove them from your home.
- Cockroaches can live for 1 week without a head, but without the ability to drink water they will die of dehydration.
- Cockroaches like to be touched, which may explain why the are always squeezing into small cracks and crevices.
- Roaches can hold their breath for up to 40 minutes so forget about just throwing them in the toilet in hopes of them drowning.
- Cockroaches have white blood…don’t just take my word for it, step on one and take a look. No red blood, but plenty of white, yucky mess.
- There are 4,000 species of cockroaches. They don’t all live in Mobile, but it sure seems like it. Only about 1 percent like to live in our homes.
- Roaches sleep 75% of the day, mostly while it is daylight. They don’t get active until the nighttime.
- They are fast! If cockroaches played football they would be the fastest running back in the league and could juke any defender with their ability to rapidly change direction (25 times per second).
- Roaches will eat nearly anything including book bindings, glue, and even feces.
- Cockroaches have quite a taste for alcoholic beverages (beer and sweet, mixed drinks). Big party? Don’t be surprised if you find roaches in the morning.
- Cockroaches are thought to have lived on Earth for over 280 million years